View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
rolandt99
rolandt99 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
calibre - Not using existing metadata from *.opf files when Add books

Hello,

I am a relatively new user of calibre and have run into a problem caused by what seems to me to be an inconsistentancy in the way calibre does some actions.

I am using calibre 0.9.0 on Windows.

Due to some external issues I needed to reload a bunch of books into my calibre library. These had all been previously saved elsewhere using "Save to Disk"/"save to disk in a single directory". So all of the books along with the matching <cover>.jpg and <metadata>.opf files were in the saved data location.

First I attempted to re-Add these books using "Add books"/"Add books from directories, including sub-directories (Multiple books per directory, assumes every ebook file is a different book)". Since the calibre documentation states this is the "inverse of the Save to disk action, i.e. you can Save to disk, delete the books and re-add them with no lost information except for the date", I thought that all of the books would be added with the correct associated cover/metadata. That is NOT what I got. Books that are epub format do have 'correct' over/metadata - but that is only because the save to disk process updated the actual epub file. Books that are pdf format do not have the correct cover/metadata - again because the save to disk process did NOT update the actual pdf file. So the "multiple per directory" option seems to ignore cover/metadata files and just processes ebook files.

I then tried to re-Add a few of these books using "Add books"/"Add books from directories, including sub-directories (One book per directory, assumes every ebook file is the same book in a different format)". The calibre documentation states this is also the "inverse of the Save to disk action". So I took a few ebooks and created a directory tree with each book in a separate directory. This time it worked correctly. All books, including pdf format, now have 'correct' cover/metadata.

So my question is how can I add books including cover/metadata without having to place them into individual separate directories?

And, if I HAVE to use individual separate directories then will someone please tell me a quick simple straight forward process to move thousands of books (and related files) from a "single" directory structure to thousands of subdirectories.

thank you in advance for any assistance
rolandt99 is offline   Reply With Quote