Thread: Touch Firmware 2.1.4
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #118
the.Mtn.Man
Addict
the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.the.Mtn.Man is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Not so nice:

- The lower part of the home screen has received a new area that permanently displays 'Your Wishlist is Empty' (I assume it will display your wishlist in case you have one set up).
This is just another thing on the home screen (in addition to the 'Discover', 'Find Books' and 'Reading Life' stuff) that I consider somewhat annoying since I have no intention to ever use the Kobo book store or any 'social reading' features.
This is, of course, not impeding the functional user experience too much, but it bugs me because the screen space could be used more efficiently for other functions. I'd appreciate options to just hide all store and social reading related functions.
It's rather pointless to complain about this because a large part of the reason e-readers even exist is to drive people to purchase content from the related store. All the major brands have this, and I think it's something we just have to accept. I rarely ever look at the home screen anyway, and then only very briefly as I'm heading directly to the library screen to find something else to read, and then I don't see the home screen again for another dozen or more hours.

As long as ads don't show up while I'm reading and the functionality of the device is not unreasonably restricted in some way, I'm fine with e-readers putting whatever advertising or marketing gimmicks they want on the home screen. To me, it's akin to a "Be sure to check out these other great novels!" page at the beginning of a book: harmless and easily ignored.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote