Updated from 2.1.1. with no problems so far.
(Manually ... since this is still the only way to avoid the stupid hyphenation settings for some languages.
KOBO: would you please fix this!!! You know what to do (you did for SOME languages), it takes about a minute per dictionary and you don't even need to test anything after editing the settings there to some reasonable values. Hint: hyphenating single letters is NOT considered reasonable and/or desirable by many!
- A few things work significantly faster know. Switching from within a book to the home screen or opening the library for instance. This is a major and very welcome improvement and alone worth the update.
-Shelves may be actually usable now since you can add individual books to shelves from the library view.
- Cover display bug is fixed
Not so nice:
- The lower part of the home screen has received a new area that permanently displays 'Your Wishlist is Empty' (I assume it will display your wishlist in case you have one set up).
This is just another thing on the home screen (in addition to the 'Discover', 'Find Books' and 'Reading Life' stuff) that I consider somewhat annoying since I have no intention to ever use the Kobo book store or any 'social reading' features.
This is, of course, not impeding the functional user experience too much, but it bugs me because the screen space could be used more efficiently for other functions. I'd appreciate options to just hide all store and social reading related functions.
- To call up a translation dictionary is ergonomically rather dysfunctional.
Select a word in an English book and the English dictionary entry will show up by default. To call up the translation dictionary you have to click the book item at the bottom of the screen, then click on translation dictionary in the pop up menu, then it defaults to the English-French dictionary, if this is not installed, you get a message 'You don't have any English-Francais Translation dictionary installed' (I might say that this is not the most intelligent implementation ...) , then you can select the dictionary you actually want to query from a drop down list of installed dictionaries. That's 5 clicks to get to a translation - if there is any ... the dictionaries as such are rather poor too.
It's nice that you can now delete unneeded dictionaries, but what's the use of this if you cannot set defaults at the same time?
- In the shelves / add books menu you have to touch the book title and NOT one of the little '+'-signs to add a book to a shelve. This is inconsistent with the general GUI design. (Took me a while to find this out. I first thought that there was just a bug preventing me from adding books to shelves.)
- In the reading context menu the progress bar indicating chapter borders is gone. This was a nice (and working) feature - why was it taken away?
- The time display at the top of the reading context menu switches very fast to %read (way faster than in 2.1.1.). There would be space enough to just display both time and %read .... or time enough keep the clock up just a little bit longer.
Last edited by guma; 10-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.