In today's build of calibre, there will be an update to support for Kobo devices. There will now be two drivers:
- The existing driver will only support the older devices. This is the original Kobo and the WiFi.
- A new driver has been created for the Kobo Touch. This driver also supports the new Glo and Mini.
Firstly, the existing support for the original Kobo and the WiFi is not going away. But, as there have not been any recent firmware updates for these devices, there has not been a need to update the driver. If you find a of a bug, please report so that it can be dealt with. Suggestions for an improvement for these devices are also welcome.
The new driver supports the Touch, Glo and Mini. It supports firmware versions 1.9.x (Touch only) and all versions of 2.x.x.
Touch devices running the 1.9.x firmware will work in the same way as the current driver. The comment above about the older devices applies to this firmware version.
The big change is for the 2.x.x firmware that the Touch, Glo and Mini run. The new driver adds the following:
- Display current Kobo collections on the device list. These are Im_Reading, Read, Preview, Recommendations and Closed. This works for 1.9.x and later. This exists in the current driver but it doesn't work properly.
- Current collections or shelves for a book displayed in the device list.
- Manage bookshelves on the device via a columns in the calibre library.
- Can create bookshelves for each series.
- Empty shelves can be automatically deleted from the device.
- Shelve management is configured via device configuration.
- Bookshelf management is one way, from calibre to the device. Calibre does not update the library with changes made on the device.
- Better handling of covers. This applies to the 1.9.x firmware as well.
- Correctly delete books from the device based on the firmware version.
What the driver does not do:
- While the device list displays the shelves kepubs are on, it does not allow you to move the kepubs to shelves.
- It will not send kepubs to the device or add them to the calibre library. They can be deleted using the device list.