View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #360
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, iPad, GS3, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Unfortunately it's been about a year since I eBay'd mine, but I can say I never had any problems or annoyances with the backlighting (and used the Sony almost exclusively in the dark) until I got some very large dust particles under the screen. That took a couple of years. In that time, it never occurred to me to look for another e-reader, and I never owned a Kindle until the Kindle 3. Since then I'd been struggling to find a good lighting solution that wasn't a $60 case, currently was using a Kandle that eats batteries and likes to slip off and spring itself across the room.

Overall, it seems I preferred my pre-dust PRS700 to my very-possibly-defective PW, ...

If I can get a "good" PW (if mine is indeed bad), that would probably change. The PRS was also heavy and metallic, and not particularly pleasant to hold.
Well, I hope you just got a bad one, and the issue can be resolved with a replacement. I just assumed the PW had to be decent, since Sony came out with the PRS-700 eight years ago, so they've had plenty of time to get it right.

I always kept my 700 with the cover on, so it felt like a book when I was holding it. Even though it wasn't a great reader in the daytime, as a night time reader, I thought the color temp on the page was perfect. The page was dull, and the lights were almost blue, making the reading color temp look slightly warm, but very clear when reading in the dark. Like you, I do most of my reading in a dimly lit room in the evening.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote