View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course it makes sense to go after the site operators, but I'm afraid I can't agree with your suggestion that downloaders should be "left alone".
It's not about leaving anybody alone. It's about spending the resources where you achieve the most while keeping the collateral damage at a minimum. Courts have decided that IPs are not enough to identify a person, and I seem to remember some cases where IPs have been ruled not to identify the household either (or do I imagine things now?).

Anyway, it's difficult to find enough evidence for a court trial, and I for one thinks that changing the law to allow evidence that can be faked (e.g. IPs) is a defeat for the legal systems. The only ones where the gain is bigger than the cost for going after are the big uploaders (I think seeders are the correct term), who make things available for a long time. There are few of them, and they seed the stuff for so long a time that it should be possible to get solid evidence (e.g. tapping the internet connection to actually analyze the traffic)

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-04-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote