View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #53
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
No, I am serious. Some stuff you have to learn, fun or not. School is meant to educate... what message are we sending, that everything should be fun and giggles? Maybe this attitude has something to do with the problems in our workforce - people are not learning to WORK, intellectually or whatnot.
First, there were a lot of responses after this, so if it's already covered, I apologize.

Like vxf I have some experience from the pulpit. What I have learned is that you can't force feed education. Even young people are at different stages in their life. Some are interested in learning, some just have too many things to deal with in their personal life to be able to focus on education. They would be better off with some sort of counselling and the opportunity to return to the class room when they are ready. This however, is wrought with other issues.

If a student feels a subject or assignment is BS there is no way you can make them do it. The more adamant the teacher is the more determined to refuse it is the student's response. It is possible to walk through life without any significant amount of education, those of us who are blessed with education have, however, a hard time grasping that concept. But if you don't mind menial labor or simple repetitive tasks there are enough prospects to go around. I used to tell students that refused their assignments that I am Ok with it as long as they are Ok with a D or an F. And if they think their life sucks 15 years down the road they have forfeited their right to blame the educational system (not that it will stop them).

Correct me if I am wrong, but HS and Uni are not part of the compulsory education system. it is a free choice, with it comes the equivalent responsibility.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 10-04-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote