Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
… Do you know some other ways to speed up calibre? Please add more suggestions!
Here are a few:
  • Set Antivirus auto-scan to exclude calibre libraries.
  • Add RAM to the computer.
  • Adjust calibre preference settings that affect performance: Job priority (Behavior); Max simultaneous jobs (Miscellaneous); Limit the max simultaneous conversion/news jobs to available cores (Miscellaneous). I've got job priority = normal, ticked checkbox for limit max simultaneous jobs to the available CPU cores, and max simultaneous conversion/news jobs set to 6 for a quadcore i7, based on some testing of bulk conversions while a couple other applications were running, but I don't know if these are really ideal settings for a quadcore.
  • Translate any complex template programming into general program mode, and ensure the tweak compile_gpm_templates = true, which is the default, so calibre automatically compiles those template programs.
  • In large libraries use column lookup names in all searches, including saved searches, to achieve significantly faster search results than searches without column lookup names.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-19-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote