View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #280
markom
Addict
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfold View Post

11. A more difficult-to-implement request but it would be super-useful. You may work mostly with recent articles with perfect layouts. I often need Briss to fix old books scanned from photocopies that don't always align well. It is very difficult with a long document, such as a book, to identify the page(s) that are not aligned properly. If I have a 200 pg. book and in the merged preview I need to find out what page is causing a problem, I have to open in Acrobat and search through. When I find it, I have to exclude the page by hand, save, open in Briss, etc. you get the idea. And I don't always guess correctly. It would be very helpful to figure out a way to make this process easier. One way would be to have a 'show single page' checkbox with forward/back arrows next to the merged preview, and a box showing which page is being previewed. When you come to a page that doesn't align, allow the user to mark it or allow the user to re-position the box on that one page only right then and there.

Thanks for considering these changes! You have saved me many dozens of hours of painful copy-paste work in Acrobat!
I frequently come across this same problem of sticking out of some pages.
If I'm to include them in cutting then there will be to much empty space (wide margins) for majority of pages i.e pages will not be cropped at exactly the text width with zero margins.

The way i deal with it is like this.

In cropped pdf I would find out those miscut pages by quickly scrolling down through cropped pdf, write their page numbers down and then extract them all from original (uncropped) pdf, by some pdf editor or tool.

I will then put them all together in new pdf or leave some as separate pages and process them again in Briss or Scan Tailor, Pdf Scissors, Stripdf online service etc. for zero or close to zero margins.

After that I would open main cropped pdf in some pdf editor like Foxit or some pdf tools (for merging pdf's) and would quickly get to those (already numbered) miscut pages, delete them and import new correctly cropped pages respectively (takes just about 5-6 seconds per miscut page with practice).

I would also rather use Scan Tailor or even Abbyy Finereader for cropping if I reckon that Briss or Pdf Scissors would not be precise enough in the first place, because with Scan Tailor we can crop an average book in 20 minutes with rectangle boxes less than one millimeter around the text automatically placed.

It would be great if Briss or Pdf Scissors would also offer that great feature of automatic drawing of rectangle boxes around the pdf text like Scan Tailor does on raw images.

Maybe that would be somewhat easier to implement, at least, for those pdf's that already have OCR layer beneath, by somehow using position/coordinates of that text layer for cutting the front pdf image itself.

Last edited by markom; 09-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote