Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #9352
Hamlet53
Babi Yar
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Well done on my question to both Daithi and pdurrant, and both correct (pdurrant arrived at the correct general formula in n). I wondered if anyone would use a computer program. I arrived at the same general formula in n by computing the formula for the sum from j=1 to j=n of j(n+1-j).

Those of us with mathematical minds think of all sorts of mathematical aspects of things. Like the fact that again for a generalization to n days, g(k) is the total number of gifts given of the type first given on day k. g(k) = k(n+1-k). This means that there will be a day or two days (dealing with integers, not a continuous function) where g(k) will reach a maximum; that being (n+1)/2. So for the Twelve Days of Christmas at total of 42 Geese-a-Laying will be given, 42 Swans-a-Swimming, but 40 Gold Rings and 40 Maids-a-Milking.

I know nothing about golf, except Tiger Woods is very good at golf and very bad at relationships with women. So onto Fbone with a good question then?
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote