View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #96
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
As I said multiple times, I have always been voracious reader. reading mostly library stuff.
After I learned some basic English I decided to read books in English to improve my newly acquired knowledge. That was more than 20 years ago. Since then I am reading books almost exclusively in English.

I have exhausted all sources for books in English here in this country. From a modest selection of English books in our libraries (town, county, ...) I have read all the interesting stuff. I have scoured all second-hand book shops in town, I have borroved books from friends and teachers and almost total strangers. It was more an more difficult to get a decent book in English without paying outrageous sums of money.

At that moment, I have discovered ... drumroll ... an ebook. That was a looooong time ago. Before even e-ink screen existed. So I got an old, small, very obsolete notebook (286 processor (or perhaps 386, I do not remeber), 2MB RAM, no HD, just floppy) and started to use it to read books. You see, I can't really read a book (*) form a big screen. I have replaced the notebook with a better notebook, then even beter one, then with an obsolete Cassiopeia A-10 (with non-backlit black and white LCD screen - one of oldest "PDA"s), then with better model of Cassiopeia, and finally ... with Sony PRS-500. That Sony cost me *lots* of money here, in Europe. At that time it was sold only in USA for 350 bucks. It was the best spent money ever.

And, here am I ...

(*) somehow, I have no problem to spend hours browsing the net here on this big backlit screen ;-)

Last edited by kacir; 09-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote