View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You should not use heading tags for things that are not headings.

I use something like:

Code:
<p class="title">Book Title</p>
<p class="subtitle">Book Subtitle</p>
<p class="author">Author</p>
<p class="date">Date</p>
and style p.title, p.subtitle, p.author, and p.date the way I like them. Also, I usually have a specific CSS file for the title page, so it doesn't interfere with the main book styles, and I can share it easily with other books.
This is actually an "issue" at our shop. When we get noobs, a lot of them don't understand that headers are structural, having not ever really grasped what they were used for in Word. (In other words, no pun intended, they never used Word in Outline view, or for large, structured docs, and thus think that h1-h6 are just fancy large fonts.). I get a lot of submitted epubs, from applicants, as well, that use headers in lieu of CSS, because people don't understand that they're not just styling choices. Very frustrating, and something I wish would be more emphasized, wherever they are obtaining their education. (Not to disparage Oldpilot's efforts--I did it myself sometimes as a shortcut when I was starting out. )

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote