The program just sits there waiting for a PRS505 to be connected, but I think because it is "bricked" the device is now not recognized by Windows USB.
Meanwhile I have finally received a response from Sony:
In response to your enquiry, please connect your reader to different PC for complete 4 hours, and then try to reset it by pressing the reset button for 7 seconds.
1. If the issue is still evident, please perform a hard reset by following the steps below:
2. Ensure the Reader is powered off.
3. On the back of the Reader, using a pin or paper clip, press the RESET button.
4. Turn on the Reader.
5. While the screen displays "Starting up...", simultaneously press and hold down the Mark button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.
6. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
Please note that all the books will be deleted.
This doesn't work either
My comments :
re 2 - how do you tell with an e-ink screen?
re 3 and 4 - with the paperclip pressed in the power-on switch does NOTHING... you have to release the paperclip first. THEN the power/charging light goes solid yellow, the screen shows "Starting Up" after 20 secs, then shortly afterwards the "firmware did not complete" message WHATEVER you do with the Mark and Vol buttons. And the power light flashes yellow every 2 seconds... until you press the paperclip reset button.
If you plug in the PC's USB lead at the stuck-flashing-yellow stage the screen changes to "Updating Firmware now".
There has to be a way !