View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
I am just testing out InDesign CS6 and it automatically includes a streamlined CSS reset when exported to ePub. This is the code:

body, div, dl, dt, dd, ul, ol, li, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, pre, code, blockquote {
margin:0;
padding:0;
border-width:0;
}
td, th {
border-style:solid;
border-width:1px;
}
table {
border-collapse:collapse;
}
li {
display:block;
}

I have also seen this reset code in ePubs:

html, body, div, span, object, iframe, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6,
p, blockquote, ol, ul, li, pre, a, cite, code, del,
dfn, em, font, img, q, s, samp, small, strike, strong, sub,
sup, tt, var, b, u, i, center, dl, dt, table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
border: 0;
outline: 0;
font-size: 100%;
vertical-align: baseline;
background: transparent; }

Yes, it doesn't work on all readers (engines), but it does make a difference on quite a few, especially if you start using background images on headers, etc. and use the second example. My view is it makes the "playing field" more predictable!
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote