View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #24
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

What got you started in the first place?
Baen Webscriptions. I had been looking for publisher sites to get lists of books that were to be published. Baen had always had a 6 or 8 month list of what was on the schedule, and then started posting samples. One book, they put the whole book up as a sample, and I read the whole thing on my computer. It worked, but I didn't want to do it all the time. Then they started the webscription program, and I searched for a device to use. I didn't use a PDA, didn't and don't have a laptop, and this was before much text on phones.

I finally found a Rocket ebook on display at a store, so I could check it out (I kept flinching at spending that much on a device unseen...) I ended up with a Rocket Pro, and read most every webscription since then. After several years, I found Fictionwise multiformat, and I purchased a very few drm books from Powells before the Rocket business was purchased by another company (Gemstar?? RCA?? something like that, but in any case they stopped creating new drm for the device.) The Rocket lasted all the way until the Cybook Gen3 came out, and I bought one from the NAEB effort to get a group rate on early eink readers.

Without Webscriptions, there wouldn't have been a baseline of ebooks available to make me want to get a device.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote