View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #63
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
Who were not the market for Windows 95. Other than ME, in my experience end users were quite happy with every version of Windows from 3.1 to XP, and 95 was clearly a major improvement over 3.1.

I've had to use Windows 7 at work on and off for the last couple of weeks and the UI feels really clunky compared to XP. We regularly have a dozen windows open on screen and switching between them requires a bunch of animations and trying to guess which of the window previews is actually the window I want.
The first thing I do when setting up a Win7 computer at work is to set the desktop theme to Windows Classic, which pretty well emulates XP. It turns off a lot of the distracting animated crap that eats up CPU resources and memory. Set it once, and it's set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
8 looks even worse.
Win8 has a classic desktop mode, but it's not a theme, it's a program that runs in Win8. And, apparently, it can't bet set to run automatically on start up (it could be in the Beta, but that's been deliberately disabled on the production version, from what the news reports say). The actual desktop on Win8 is a significant step backwards in capabilities over any other version since 3.1. Microsoft wants all versions of Windows to be identical, and they see mobile devices as the future. They're wrong, and they're stupid, because desktops aren't going away[1], and a cell phone interface on a desktop is just broken.

[1]Growth is mostly in the mobile device market these days, but the desktop market isn't shrinking. It's just saturated. That means it's staying the same size. People are still buying desktops, just not more than they used to. And it's still a lot bigger market, dollar wise, than mobile devices, though that will eventually change. But Microsoft, if they do not backtrack with Win9, will lost that multi-billion dollar market entirely, because Win8 is simply unusable on a desktop.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote