View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #863
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR w/Glowlight, Kindle 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
As one of the people who requested the inclusion of the new categories for FanFiction.net, thanks for the new functionality. I respect the amount of work that it must have taken, and appreciate the flexibility in how they have been implemented.
Many thanks for taking the time to do this detailed testing. It really helps me out a lot.

Quote:
Tested on a Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7.4, Calibre 0.8.64 and the beta of FFDL provided in post #844 (updated with notes on 1.6.10), with fics from Fanfiction.net ...

All of it works as described with multiple fics.
Excellent.

Quote:
However, Get Story URLs from Web Page seems to now be broken...
So it is. That's my bad--I don't use that feature so I forgot to test it.

Quote:
I donít actually read at dramione.org, but since you apparently havenít gotten many replies on it, I decided to test that too.
I appreciate that greatly, thank you.

Quote:
Picking a random popular author with short stories (ThatRomantic) I tried And What If They Were Lovers ? http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=533 and Never Crossed Their Lips http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=532 which worked except for Genres. I eventually realized the mistake, but you may want to add to the notes that in order for include_in_genre:genre,themes to work you need to add genre=>#genre under custom_column_settings too, because from the description, at first glance, it looks as though one doesnít need to do anything in addition. For reference:
## For another example, you could, by uncommenting this line, include
## themes in with genre metadata.
#include_in_genre:genre, themes
This part appears to be working as designed.

'include_in_genre' adds the theme list to the genre list. The idea is that if you already have #genre column defined and have set FFDL to populate from 'genre' on the Custom Columns tab (not custom_column_settings), that will add themes to it, too.

If you uncomment include_in_genre:genre, themes, both genre and themes appear after the Genre heading on the title page and in custom columns set to populate from 'genre' on the Custom Columns tab.

I'm happy to change the documenting comment to be more clear, do you have any suggestions?

Quote:
Testing with a few more stories by the same author: And What If Karma Caught Up With Them? http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=535 and Battlefield: http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=1479 and I got this from the Updates completed, final status window:
Comments: sequence item 0: expected string or Unicode, NoneType found
I only see that problem with Battlefield: http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=1479, but that's enough to find it--it's a bug that only happens when using custom_columns_settings to set a column with 'a' flag and the story doesn't have any of that--Battlefield doesn't have any themes.

Quote:
If I commented #include_in_genre:genre, themes the comment went away.
Commented or not, Hermiones, Dracos, Timeline and Themes donít populate with the above two stories. Genre doesnít give the composite column, but does populate, strangely, with ďFanFictionĒ, which isnít included with the themes in the Genre column for the story that worked. (I have Genre set to populate with Extra Tags in the GUI Custom Column tab in the FFDL preferences, but when I put include_in_genre:genre,themes,extra_tags and try http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=533 ďFanFictionĒ still doesnít show, so Iím not sure where itís coming from)
I'm not able to replicate this. It might have been a side effect from the 'a' flag bug above. As for how "FanFiction" could end up in genre, I suspect it was an issue with it being set from Custom Column tab (which happens before custom_columns_settings are applied), and then added to? And it's 'extratags' not 'extra_tags', to use in include_in_genre.

Quote:
Not related to new features, but noticed that for Never Crossed Their Lips http://dramione.org/viewstory.php?sid=532 which of the stories I checked is the only story with an image, even though as shown below I have make_firstimage_cover:false, both under [epub] and [defaults], the epub uses the banner as the title page anyway.
The banner is being treated as an explicit cover image, which is different than make_firstimage_cover. There's a very few sites (fimfic, ffnet and dramione) that have explicit cover images. The only ways to prevent it are never_make_cover: true or include_images: false.

I'm open to suggestions if this doesn't seem like the correct behavior.

Quote:
Also not new to this version, but something I hadnít tried before. If I call for the FFDL version in the log or title page, with 1.6.10 it shows version 4.4. Same with 1.6.09. Is this intentional?
Sort of. FFDL started out as a separate project and still has CLI and web service versions that run off the same code base. When I made the plugin, I started it at 1.0.0 instead of matching the 4.4 version of the existing project. I'll think about how I might get that to show the plugin version instead. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
I can confirm that the relationships meta information is working for me for AO3.
Excellent.

Quote:
I canít find the setting for adding a keyboard shortcut for FFDL configuration. Calibre > Preferences > Keyboard > FanFictionDownLoader only has the following options
[Add New FanFiction Book(s) from URL(s), FanFictionDownloader, Get Story URLs from Web Page, Get URLs from Selected Books, Update Existing FanFiction Book(s)] and it doesnít seem to be anywhere in the FFDL preferences. Is it somewhere else?
Good point. I'd forgotten that the code I use to the create the menu (that caused some Macs crash, I'm sure you remember) is also what registers shortcuts with calibre. I'll try to get the shortcuts for you, but there's a chance it will bump into the Mac crash issue again.

Quote:
Also, Iím not sure exactly when this is was but at least from 1.6.3, fics from FanFiction.net are downloading with left justified text (as displayed on the website) showing up as justified in the epub. I can change it with Convert Books, but that makes everything left justified.
Check out the output_css ini parameter. Quite frankly, the default is text-align: justify just because I like that better.

Spoiler:
Code:
[epub]
## output background color--only used by html and epub (and ignored in
## epub by many readers).  Included below in output_css--will be
## ignored if not in output_css.
background_color: ffffff

## Allow customization of CSS.  Make sure to keep at least one space
## at the start of each line and to escape % to %%.  Also need
## background_color to be in the same section, if included in CSS.
## 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' prevents hyphenation on newer Nooks
output_css: 
 body { background-color: #%(background_color)s;
        text-align: justify;
        margin: 2%%;
	adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed; }
 pre { font-size: x-small; }
 sml { font-size: small; }
 h1 { text-align: center; }
 h2 { text-align: center; }
 h3 { text-align: center; }
 h4 { text-align: center; }
 h5 { text-align: center; }
 h6 { text-align: center; }
 .CI {
     text-align:center;
     margin-top:0px;
     margin-bottom:0px;
     padding:0px;
     }
 .center   {text-align: center;}
 .cover    {text-align: center;}
 .full     {width: 100%%; }
 .quarter  {width: 25%%; }
 .smcap    {font-variant: small-caps;}
 .u        {text-decoration: underline;}
 .bold     {font-weight: bold;}

Quote:
Question about tag substitution. Though I havenít actually implemented it, in principle I know how to automate tag substitution on import in personal.ini globally, or on a site by site basis with replace_metadata and regexp. But is there a way to have FFDL take a given tag and use different rules for replacement depending on the source category and/or destination column? e.g.: input type: Characters, entry ďHan S.Ē output to Tags as ďchar Star Wars: Han SoloĒ and to Characters as ďStar Wars.Han SoloĒ?
Not at this time. I admit it's a bit of a ham-fisted approach at the moment. However, with the refactoring that happened for the stuff above, I think it might be doable now for source metadata (characters, genre, etc). Changes based on destination column would be a whole different thing, but I think about it.

Quote:
By the way, generally feel free to P.M. me if you have things you want tested. I donít check the forum every day, or week, and I wonít guarantee that Iíll have time to test immediately, but Iím happy to help when thereís time.
I appreciate that, I'll keep it in mind.

Many thanks for your help. Hopefully I can get out a version addressing these issues today yet.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote