View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #34538
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Stitch: Too few calories! You are going to make your goal, but you aren't doing your body any favors, and I fear you are going to blow back up as soon as you go back to eating normally. This ends your unsolicited advice for today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
[SILLYDOG'SADVICE]. Double it. All of it. Double the calories so ewe aren't tempted to eat the doggie and ewe keep ewer metabolism up without burning muscle. Double ewer walking and stairs and ewe'll burn even more. [/SILLYDOG'SADVICE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have to agree with the crowd on this one, Stichawl. That's not enough calories to keep a man healthy. My suggestion is to eat a balanced diet, and for exercise, you could always opt-in to the Politics and Religion forum and join the folks there who are beating dead horses.
Thanks all for your advice. I do appreciate it. For the sake of brevity I have not written all that I've been doing to reach this point, and I've made jokes about wanting to eat more. The fact is, my 'mouth' wants to eat more, not my stomach. I want ice cream, pizza, french fries, tempura, Big Mac.... I want the flavors, not the food.

First, I have been working with a nutritionist. This isn't something that I thought of or planned out by myself. Although I've cut down drastically on the calorie consumption, I've NOT unbalanced what I've been eating, only eating a LOT less of it. I'm still getting the protein and carbs, tons of green veggies both raw and cooked, just very, very little fat. A small grilled chicken breast with a side of broccoli, and half a small baked potato is actually a healthy meal, but under 500 calories. Previously it would have been two or three grilled chicken breasts, broccoli with Hollandaise sauce, and sour cream on the baked potato. My metabolism has NOT gone into "Starvation Mode." It's working the way it's supposed to work, channeling the nutrients to where they are supposed to go.

Instead of burning muscle, I've actually enlarged my thighs by almost a full inch. I have been exercising every day. I'm not swinging a pick and shovel, just morning PT as I did in the military; push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, etc., then walking for several hours in the afternoon. I've quickly worked up to 50 push-ups (from 20 six weeks ago) and 100 sit-ups. That doesn't happen if one is burning away muscle.

I've now added steep hills into my walking tours, never take escalators or elevators any more, only stairs (I have to go down slowly because of my bad knees (no bouncing) but up is no longer a problem) My body is starting to feel young again. I can now walk at a steady pace up steep hills for 3-4 kilometers and not huff and puff. A 5-7k walk with a heavy camera bag (with extra lenses) over my shoulder causes no problems (except to my shoulder...)

It's working, guys. I'm getting trim and fit and I'm not endangering my health. I'm being checked and charted by a health professional (no, not some kid at the Gym who was hired to be their 'trainer' with no real training,) and am on track. There is no doubt that if I go back to eating the way that I had been, and stop the exercising that I'm doing that I would put the weight back on. That's pretty obvious. Instead, I'm re-learning how to eat. I'm including more time on my feet instead of in front of the computer, and I'm getting better and better every day. And speaking of which...
it's off to take a walk up the hill!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote