View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #116
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
My point was more that good writing is not a thing that will win you the Hugo usually. Competent writing and a really god story will most often win. Or just being a popular person might cause you to win.
I suppose that is true. There are an awful lot of us that believe the first job of a novel is to tell a story. The better it tells the story, the better the book (in our view). Indeed, I tend to think of that as good writing . What you and others here seem to be talking about is good style.

Quote:
The Nebula seemed to me at a certain period to be political in the way that the best book was not the one that won but a book could win if it was considered that the writer deserved to win for all the previous work.
Don't most awards get political at some point or another? Certainly the criteria will be driven by what is most important to the voters. Even if we divorce politics from the question, in Science Fiction and Fantasy, there are additional criteria that must clearly be considered beyond how good the story is and how good the style is; the ideas presented and the world building are almost certainly aspects that would be considered as well.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote