View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
There will. Not because it is necessary but because too many jobs would be lost closing them. Even when all texts are available electronically and all research can be done online, libraries will exist in schools. (My oldest has brought home a number of assignments that prohibited using the internet for research.)
I think that libraries will close because of the cost savings in eliminating the employees. That is certainly the direction taken by other businesses, and I see no reason that libraries will be exempt. New necessary jobs may take their place. Many schools in my area employ 'heavies' to help handle the kids. Their titles elude me at this point, but when I was working in a school, one of these guys told me he used to be a prison guard. It seemed to me that he still was one.

I also want to comment on the homework assignments. Back when I was in conservatory, one of my professors required that all work be hand written. I understood his mentation, however, my time would have been better spent using computer programs to notate my work. Their use would have not only saved time, but would have also given me more experience with the software. Several years later, they began teaching courses in music notation software. It does not surprise me to find that Ludditeism is alive an well in our schools. Maybe this is a new form of teaching, in which students learn by experience.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote