I never said 5.2 and 5.1 are fully compatible, in every little detail. I said that luajit source comes with some scripts that run during compilation process of luajit, and that lua5.2 executes those scripts correctly. Weather they're written in lua 5.1 or lua 5.2 syntax, or even klingon is irrelevant - the fact is that lua 5.2 executes them correctly, and it properly compiles luajit. Lua 5.2 is ONLY used to execute those scripts during the compilation of luajit. EVERYTHING ELSE is executed with luajit. At least this is how I see it. I might be wrong though. Noob's opinions aren't worth much
As for testing - I did test, and kindlepdfviewer compiled following instructions in the guide, using lua5.2 to compile luajit, does work properly, both in emulation mode and on the kindle. However, to be as "kosher" as possible
, I changed the guide to use lua5.1 now. (Yes, I tested this too... it works).
FWIW, I believe that it would also work if you used some other version of luajit (sudo apt-get install luajit
instead of sudo-apt-get install lua5.1
), but I didn't test this.
If you look in the luajit Makefile (the one in src dir), you'll find this text:
# NOTE: The LuaJIT distribution comes with pre-generated buildvm_*.h files.
# You DO NOT NEED an installed copy of (plain) Lua 5.1 to run DynASM unless
# you want to MODIFY the corresponding *.dasc file. You can also use LuaJIT
# itself (bootstrapped from a pre-generated file) to run DynASM of course.
Since I didn't modify anything, (I just ran make fetchthirdparty), I assume someone on luajit github did this, since kpdfview gets it's luajit src from github, and that's why we need lua installed now. Might be fixed soon (maybe already is, idk). Even if it is, it doesn't hurt to have lua installed.