View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #449
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Why they are taking up so much cpu time is immaterial if you want to fix it go to Preferences - Behavior and change Job priority from Normal to Low then restart calibre. This will ensure your computer is responsive to you and the calibre-parallel processes will cede to you when you want to do something other than stare at the computer.

You can also control cpu cores via Preferences - Miscellaneous, but once you change Job priority you should be fine.
Pref->Behavior->Job Priority made no difference - a single secondary calibre-parallel process still ran the CPU at 22-25%, if I set the priority to Below Normal with Windows its also makes no difference. Will it yield if all four cores are at 24.n% usage - dunno, don't care - see next para.

I think I've found the root cause - I had Behaviour->Preferred Output set to EPUB and Preferred Input to RTF, because for my main workflow that's the stage I'm at i.e. I'm doing mainly doing RTF conversions to EPUB.

There's a lot of earlier discussion in this thread around this issue, i.e. which format is used to do the counting - I was left with the impression that the pecking order was EPUB, MOBI, otherwise ?? Given I have an EPUB and an RTF for everything, I thought it was using the EPUBs.

On a whim I pushed EPUB to the top of the Preferred Input order and the slow books become fast books and the fast books became even faster books.

Kiwidude mentioned putting a preferred source format list in the plug-in Configuration similar to the one in Behaviour. I'd settle for a being able to specify a single default format as the one to use to do the count - if its not available then... whatever is easiest for kiwidude.

Have to go, I'm in a bricks & mortar Library using their WiFi, its 18:30, and the real Librarian is rattling keys, and wagging her finger...

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-19-2012 at 04:34 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote