View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #27
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I often wonder about the amount of complaints about ebook prices in general. It's not like most people need a bank loan to buy one.
In times like this, I more and more often think I'm getting old (or already am)

I remember the (golden) times, when a game on Commodore 64 ca. 1984 did cost 100 German Marks = 50 Euro!
So I only can shake my head in astonishment, when I read about an iPhone game: "For such a high price, I would have expected more". The "high" price in that case being 4 Euro!
Of course, lots of games or apps on iOS and Android aren't even worth the 79 cent, they may cost. But considering 4 Euro much?
My only explanation: Such statements have to come from teens, who never have experienced the prices, "seniors" such as me (44 years old) have experienced:
Notebooks costing 4.000 Euros.
eBook readers costing 600 Euros.
Games costing 40+ Euros.
If one did pay 15 Euro for a CD 25 years ago, 10 Euro for the very same album in iTunes are fine.
If one never did experience this but only compares "Piratebay = 0" vs. "iTunes = 10 Euro" this seems to be an entirely different perspective than mine.
My attitude being quite the opposite: "Wow. Everything is getting cheaper and cheaper. How can they even build a tablet for 200 Euro".

And: I've been working for quite a few hardware manufacturers, for example Xerox. So I'm fine with adequate pricing for quality products, as those eventually pay my bills. Whereas the attitude "all should be for free" only leads to bankruptcy:

In Germany, there's even a political party, their main slogan being "all public transportation should be for free". Sounds nice and of course they have their fans. But, from a certain age on, one probably starts asking questions such as "and who's going to bare the costs"?...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-15-2012 at 01:13 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote