Originally Posted by Peakcrew
What is the technique for opening the Touch? I note clsdclsd says s/he did it with fingernails, but could you a bit more information on where the clips are? Photos, maybe, for the clumsier amongst us ...
If you're mad enough to attempt this, make sure the device is switched off, and not in "sleep" mode. Wave goodbye to any warranties, support, hand-holding, etc.
Nails, guitar pick, credit card... not steel tools since you'd end up damaging or marking the case. I used an old credit card to get some leverage near the aperture for the switch at the top. While at the same time, avoiding any stress on the switch itself.
Once a narrow opening/fissure appears, try to work around loosening the clips but not bending the panel too much. Try not to attempt further disassembly. The screen assembly is notoriously fragile.
Info to look for
1, "mainboard" version number and revision
2. serial number.
As noted above, not all units will have them. On some units, their locations may be different.
You will however be able to determine...
3. CPU model: iMX507 or iMX508
4. SD: soldered or socketed
5. presence of a steel shielding (if any) around the chipset
6. style of circuit board (see pics above)
7. Any other interesting features of the board. (Photo perhaps?)
8. On the bottom of the case (external), there should be an indication of the country where it was assembled. (Taiwan or China (PRC))
The "model" number printed on the case is: N905 on mine. Is this the case for everyone else?