View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I took a quick look, and for the life of me ... I can't figure out why the embedded fonts would ever be unencrypted when building KF8s with calibre.

The write_font_record function in the utils.py (ebooks/mobi/) has an optional parameter to obfuscate fonts that defaults to 'True'.
Code:
def write_font_record(data, obfuscate=True, compress=True):
That write_font_record function gets called exactly once (in all the scripts in the ebook/mobi/ folder hierarchy), and it's called with only the first mandatory parameter in the resource.py script (ebook/mobi/writer2/).
Code:
self.records.append(write_font_record(item.data))
So I can't determine why the procedure to build the combo MOBI/KF8 file leaves unencrypted fonts unencrypted, but the procedure to build a standalone KF8 always encrypts them.

The Tweak Book feature seems to un-obfuscate them, regardless, when exploding, so nothing really critical is going on, but I'd just like to get my head around it if I can.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote