View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarq View Post
Hi, thanks for the info. I must admit to being tempted by the Asus EEE, especially the new 901 model.

I was wondering about the 'wifi' aspect.

Does it mean you can go anywhere and hook up to a wireles network, what about the costs, how are they charged?

As you can tell I know nothing about modern workings, my mobile phone is 10years old and the Palm is 5!

They are all coming to the end of their life so that's why I'm looking to replace them, they do nothing fancy. The phone makes calls and probably 'texts' too, if I knew how to. The Palm is just a PDA that I use as an ereader and organiser with no net connections.

I'm way behind the times, but am going on holiday in Septemeber so thought it would be nice to have something better than the Palm to take my reading on. lol
How you hook up, and what (if anything) it costs depends on where you are. Lots of places (I think Starbucks is one of them) offer free wifi hotspots for the use of people in the store.

At most airports there are wifi hotspots, but they usually cost (I remember one being $10 an hour). Some hotels have them for free, others charge by the day. If it's a pay site, then they will take your payment and then you get a logon id to use the wifi.

Most of the people in my valley have unsecure wifi networks. We allow anyone who's in the valley to piggyback off of our signals .... however, the signals don't extend out all that far.

There are programs and devices out there which will help to locate free wifi, and some cities are working hard to provide free hotspots throughout the downtown areas.

So ... it depends.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote