Originally Posted by bevdeforges
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often
- Please, please, please get rid of the immediate automatic flood of Dutch books in my face just because I'm browsing from a Dutch IP address. It would be nice if the content of the site listened to what language I select right at the top. All it does now when I select "English," is change the menu names to English. The rest stays Dutch. I cannot browse in English, causing me to never ever buy a book from Kobobook.com any more.
- While we're on the subject of internationalism, it would be really great if books that are translated from another language say so, and preferably give a link to the original book (if available). I'd hate to buy a translated book by accident and then find out later that I could have read it in its original language...
Oh yes, PLUL-EEZE!! The first one has been my one main gripe since Kobo "went international." I'm sure one of these days I will buy a book in French from their FNAC affiliate, but until then I really would prefer to see New Releases in English - and NOT in French.
And the idea of linking translations to the book in VO is a great one!
For the third time or so, I e-mailed kobo with this request. For the first time however, I just got a response that actually made some sense (the first response restated that it depended on my IP address, DUH, and the second response was about something completely different).
Anyway, today, Keshine R from Kobo Customer Care told me:
To resolve this issue I would recommend that your billing address is set to an English speaking country such as your homeland, England. Once this is set the website will revert to being in English. Below I have included the steps to change this settings.
Changing Billing Location
1. Launch a web browser
2. Navigate to our website (www.kobobooks.com)
3. Sign in
4. Click on My Account
5. Scroll until you reach the Billing address & Credit Card section
6. Change Country to England (Please ensure if you have a credit card saved that this new billing address corresponds with the credit card saved)
Unfortunately, for me this doesn't work as I don't have a credit card from an English speaking country. But perhaps it might work for you and/or others.
UPDATE: I was able to put in a UK address with my Dutch credit card details (number, security code and expiry date)! So now I can browse English books again yay. Of course I won't be able to buy any, but oh well (okay fine I'll use paypal). Strange thing though: while the books now show up in English, the "eReader" part of the site it still in Dutch. Hurrumph.
UPDATE2: Oh. But now all the pricing shows up in UK Pounds instead of euros. Sigh.