View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #47
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

NOTEBOOKS
(Not to be confused with Notebook, which I haven't tried - will post the links tonight from home because the firewall at work won't let me access them).
I'll throw in some comments about Notebook (Circus Ponies Notebook, www.circusponies.com).

Its similar in many respects to Notebooks, but with a much more graphic UI - looks like a physical (paper) notebook, with page turns etc. You can have multiple (separate) books, each with multiple sections. Sections are split with Divider pages, like a paper book, and you can have sections within sections. There are multiple paper and page styles.

There's a good outliner, with good control over text styles and drag-drop movement. You can embed other content (e.f. pdf, jpeg, doc etc), and open it from Notebook. You can create actions in outlines.

Some excellent additional features: voice notes, with the ability to annotate the voice notes with text notes; handwriting (no text recognition); shapes for diagramming (not up to the standards of OmniGraffle, but very useful).

The killer feature is the Multidex - everything in a notebook is indexed and you get a pre-populated index by category (e.g. text, actions by date - due, created etc -, attachments, discarded attachments, much more). It's a fabulous feature if you build big notebooks, like I do.

There's a Mac equivalent, and you can sync via Dropbox or iTunes; no Windows equivalent.

Current weaknesses: no export to PDF or mail. This is coming, but it's an obstacle. You can select and copy/paste into another editor or an email, but thats not great for communicating/sharing. No iPhone equivalent.

The UI is very graphic, and the feature set is very large; this makes it slow on the iPad 1. It's fine on the 2 and 3.

The general functional model is very similar to Notebooks; the outliner is better and I prefer the UI - it just makes more sense to me. But Notebooks is lighter on processor and memory (especially for the iPad 1) and has one major plus for users of Omnifocus - you can send content to OF as a taks.

I've used both extensively, and I prefer the Circus Ponies implementation. It's not perfect (the export thing is major), but it suits me. My notes tend to revolve around large projects - meeting notes, copies of documents, action lists - and I find CPN fits well. I use the Mac version at home, which helps too.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote