View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #789
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,591
Karma: 456789
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Midwest USA
Device: Nook STR w/Glowlight, Kindle 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I've noticed that with a few stories at the A03 archive the download and convert to epub doesn't quite work. They appear to work in Calibre (I can view the stories on the Calibre Viewer) However when I transfer the stories to my Sony PRS-650 I get an error message that says, "Page Error."
The epub fails only on your Sony PRS-650? And only for some stories, while others still work? That suggests bad/unusual HTML in those particular stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
These are two stories that had the problem.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/464341
http://archiveofourown.org/works/499021

My current solution has been to re-convert the files to epub. However, I'm not sure why this happens to some stories and not others?
I'm able to d/l these two and view them on my Nook fine. Running them through epubcheck shows only minor HTML errors, and those errors are still there after epub->epub convert. I don't have a Sony PRS-650 to test on, so that's the best I can do for testing. If you post an epub that has the problem here, that might help some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I also noticed that I cannot add multiple story links to the fan fiction downloader box because then they all have the Page Error message and I wasn't sure if this was related?
Shouldn't be. A single URL is just a batch of one--the same code is used.

Are you sure it isn't all new downloads giving that error? Because that I could possibly explain.

A few versions back, I added some new CSS to help with a problem on Nook. It's possible that addition ("adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;") is what's causing your problem. You could try putting the snippet below (removes "adobe-text-layout") in your personal.ini and see if that helps.

Code:
[epub]
## Allow customization of CSS.  Make sure to keep at least one space
## at the start of each line and to escape % to %%.  Also need
## background_color to be in the same section, if included in CSS.
## 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' prevents hyphenation on newer Nooks
output_css: 
 body { background-color: #%(background_color)s;
        text-align: justify;
        margin: 2%%; }
 pre { font-size: x-small; }
 sml { font-size: small; }
 h1 { text-align: center; }
 h2 { text-align: center; }
 h3 { text-align: center; }
 h4 { text-align: center; }
 h5 { text-align: center; }
 h6 { text-align: center; }
 .CI {
     text-align:center;
     margin-top:0px;
     margin-bottom:0px;
     padding:0px;
     }
 .center   {text-align: center;}
 .cover    {text-align: center;}
 .full     {width: 100%%; }
 .quarter  {width: 25%%; }
 .smcap    {font-variant: small-caps;}
 .u        {text-decoration: underline;}
 .bold     {font-weight: bold;}
Another possibility is that sometimes different skins can cause problems. If you've reskinned AO3 try switching back to the default skin.

Jim
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote