View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Doitsu's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,137
Karma: 4938208
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khin99 View Post
@Doitsu, I just got a Kindle Fire and tried to read the above Burmese epub. I couldn't read it.
Were you not able to read the ePub, because the Kindle didn't display Burmese characters at all or because of the transposed character issues?
My test file contained the SIL Padauk font. When I displayed it in the Kindle Previewer in regular Kindle mode, it showed all the problems that you described, but when I switched to Kindle Fire mode, the diacritics where shifted to where they belong. (At least in the words that you pointed out.)
Of course, I don't speak Burmese and I might have missed some other obvious layout issues. (BTW, the file still doesn't work with the latest Kindle for PC version.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khin99 View Post
You said it displays alright in Kindle Fire Preview, please advise how to get the display correct in KF. Thank you.
I'm afraid I cannot help you with that. The Kindle previewer is only 99.99% accurate. Occasionally, it shows bugs were there are none and vice versa.

You mentioned that you achieved a nearly correct epub with the help of an Python script.
The script most likely rearranged characters that caused display issues from logical layout to physical layout or modified the glyphs in the font to hard-code their position.
If that's the case, and you used this modified ePub/font also as a Kindle source file, problems are to be expected, because the Webkit rendering engine expects fully compliant Unicode character sequences and fonts.

Have a look at my Burmese Moib/KF8 combo test file. If it indeed displays correctly in Kindle Previewer but not on a Kindle Fire there's little you can do about it other than waiting for a firmware update or maybe fiddle with the Kindle Locale settings and/or add Padauk or other Burmese Unicode fonts.
If it also displays fine on your Kindle Fire, than you'll have to "massage" your source files and/or embed a different font.

Good luck!

(The source files are embedded in the .mobi file. Use 7Zip or Keka to extract them.)
Attached Files
File Type: mobi burmese_test.mobi (305.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-09-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote