View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #52
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
Even if the Fire and Arc have the same display, wouldn't the Arc make a better tab/reader here in Canada with its access to Google Play? Why buy a Fire if you can't do anything but download books?
quite possibly, depending on how they implement; Reading the article there definitely some really interesting things that Kobo plan to introduce (and could introduce into the vox or their regular android app, if they were so inclined).

However, one of the reasons I personally went with the galaxy nexus, was the fact it was a vanilla android operating system. The reason this was important to me was that it meant that there was nothing running in the background apart from the essential system apps. The problem with the vox, arc, fire and the like is that there are plenty of "partner" apps in the background using up precious Ram and cpu cycles (I know they are usually dormant, but they do poll the system once in a while), and cannot be stopped or uninstalled without rooting your machine.

When I look at the app that's currently on the Vox vs what's in the android app store, i don't see anything that would make the Vox a better reading experience. both provide me with my library and both allow me to read with relative clarity, in proper lighting conditions. They both provide access to the kobo store and they both provide previews based on my reading habits. they both track stats, and they both have pulse. Of course the negative experience on the vox is the fact that it's slow and non responsive much of the time, and this is partially due to hardware specs, and partially due to layers to the OS they added to make it theirs and their partners machines.

Despite the hardware specs, will the added layers they are adding to the Arc going to cause the same type of issues? we won't know that until it's out. I'd really like to believe they won't, but layers usually always muck things up.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote