View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkh5 View Post
The file is almost 2000 pages long and filled with objects. This is not a simple text-based book. I imagine that reformatting the entire document will not be easier, especially if I'm not sure that Sigil can actually solve the problem and I'm not terribly familiar with that program. I don't really see how Word is the source of the problem.

What I'd like is to find a way to either a different way of making Kindle recognize the table of contents or a way for the prc file to recognize the characters.
There are conflated issues here. The TOC issue is unrelated to the UTF-8 and/or Win-1252 issues.

Firstly: the TOC that "gets recognized" on Previewer: is this the html.toc or the ncx that's being recognized on Previewer? When you click "go to" on the previewer, which do you see? Because if you created a Guide, your TOC should be visible regardless of where you've uploaded or viewed the book. Only when the Guide is not created properly should your HTML toc be unviewable.

Secondly: your encoding issue has other aspects. If you use UTF-8 characters anywhere in your NCX, you'll have issues when it displays. Thus, simply deciding to encode an ePUB (or in your case, an HTML + OPF file) in UTF-8 mightn't get you where you want to go. I mean, the hard fact is, not every character that's available to a user of Word is available to a Kindle device, particularly "geegaws" or wingdings like checkmarks, etc. I've had more than one book where we had to replace stupid things (my personal least-fave: emoticons like smiley-faces) with images. They have perfectly workable keyboard-shortcuts in Word--but that's not the same thing as supported entities in MOBI/PRC. So, beware arbitrarily making everything UTF-8 in an attempt to "fix" the problem. Not saying it can't work for you, but we have often had to use the glyphs (for the ncx).

Lastly, you may have a problem if the entity exists in a given FONT (I note your font span tags), when the font can't be supported in PRC and K7 MOBI. Really, the advice you got about launching the file into Sigil and working from there would give you far greater options than working strictly in MBPC, FWIW.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote