Originally Posted by ixtab
@silver18: I just looked through the guide again, and I have a few comments:
1. you don't mention flashing the diags kernel. While it *probably* isn't necessary, I think it's best to just include that step. We can't be 100% sure that all devices come with a factory-fresh 5.0.0 diags kernel. That would be somewhere between steps 6 and 8, I guess.
2. I suggest to make it totally clear that (diags kernel and partition), and (main kernel and partition) must have matching versions (but not necessarily vDiags==vMain) . This is especially important, as we now have 5.1.2 kernels and images for main, while still using the 5.0.x ones for diags.
3. Finally, many of the images (esp. the 5.1.2 ones) now have slightly different names than the ones you mention. Maybe it's simply worth a paragraph at the beginning of the guide, where you give examples for the 4 different files required, along with a short explanation what each file is.
Thanks for pointing it out!
I was thinking about updating the guide and this is really the right time to do it.
1. flashing diags kernel works the same way as flashing the main kernel, isn't it?! I mean, the command is the same (apart from the different file name)?
2. you mean that main kernel version must match main partition version AND diag kernel version must match diag partition version (while main version could not necessary has the same version of diag)?
3. oook, this one is totally clear!
I just asked all these stuff to double check everything as the guide has LOTS of download and, while I can bear to mess up MY kindle, I don't want to mess up someone else's!