View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A727 tablet, Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
The tragedy was they had no problems with Ustream the year before.
Yep. So they had no cause to anticipate trouble this year.

I know people who were working tech at Chicon. They saw no issues backstage at the ceremonies. They found out about the feed when someone from the overflow viewing area came in to tell them the feed was gone. They had been pulling back the feed to feed the overflow area. And Chicon was doing shared programming with Dragoncon, and Dragoncon was getting the UStream feed. Oops...

(There was apparently also confusion in the ballroom where the ceremony was, as a number of folks from the overflow area came in to see Neil Gaiman accept the Hugo for the The Doctor's Wife episode.)

The incident has gone viral. Neil blogged about it and CNN picked it up. It also hit Slashdot, and is getting commentary elsewhere, too.

You may assume LoneStarCon, the 2013 Worldcon, will be looking at other options. (I know a couple of the people doing tech for them, and they are sysadmins/network engineers in their day jobs and deal with stuff like that for a living.)

Quote:
Interesting to note was that A Dance With Dragons got the lowest votes in the final tallies. And happy for the novellas (though the other nominees could easily have won it as well), novelette (my first choice), and short story (first choice too) category.
I'm too far behind to have comments on most of them, as I simply haven't read them yet.

Quote:
Much-deserved congrats to John Picacio, who's a wonderful and humble artist (he did the Song of Ice and Fire Calendar last year as well as the Del Rey re-issues of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books), and Jim C. Hines for fan writer. Big fan of all the podcasts and it was a tough decision.
John Picicio is a splendid chap. I've met him, and it's amazing to meet a guy that is as nice a person and as brilliant an artist at the same time. I was delighted that he won.

(Though I must say, I know a number of pro SF artists, and they have all been splendid in person as well as on canvas. One of the things I love about the field is that just about everyone I've met in it is worth knowing in person.)
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-05-2012 at 06:50 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote