Thread: Wallander Fans
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
It's a tie-in. The main character is Kurt Wallander's daughter, but he's there a bit as a supporting character. Mostly it's her story though.
Thanks! Would it hurt to leave Before The Frost until the end? Or before The Troubled Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
As a Swede I'm curious what it is about Wallander that appeals to non-Swedes. For me it was that I could instantly relate to all the settings (live 30 minutes from Ystad), every scene was extremely clear in my mind, and I began to read the books while living in Japan, so there was probably a smidgen of home sickness attached as well.

However, if you live in the Bristol or Toronto I imagine that Ystad doesn't evoke any concrete images. Hence, there must be something else.
I'm from Bristol, England. Like Chi Cygni below, I like the character, Wallander, and Mankell's writing (albeit am reading the translations) draws me in. The Fifth Woman, for me, was very emotionally draining and had more twists and turns than a helter skelter. I loved that.

In February 2013, I am going to Copenhagen for 3 days and hopefully travel to Ystad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Here! *raises hand* I read them all. And re-read them. And re-bought after an Alf-proof DRM reader crashed.
I like those books because I like the character. And he is human. Not perfect, with his doubts and mistakes. And I like criminal stories. And it is fun to imagine all those streets, places and people. Isn't is what reading is also about? Imagining what you read about?
Funny enough, I like to read them but I have yet to see tv series of Wallander which doesn't bore me to death. Even Kenneth Brannagh didn't help.
You found the tv series boring? I have yet to see any of them yet but itching to watch them (English and Swedish) now after reading the books.

Last edited by stop__dreaming; 09-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote