View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
I'm trying to organize my calibre library folder and need a little help.

Currently its organized as follows:

\new_storage\Author Name\Book Name\filenames

I want to change it so that everything will be in one folder and so it will look like this:

\new_storage\BookName.epub etc
If i have more than one format just name it BookName.mobi etc

How can I do this the right way on my current library?

Thanks

Alex
@kalex - as you've probably gathered what you're requesting is heresy in Calibreland, so at the risk of getting banned I'll tell you of one way you can get close to what you want, providing you're using Windows 7. And you wont have to save any copies of any books to some other folder.

You need to create a Windows Library, which we'll name 'Ebooks' - you do that from Windows Explorer, so do a Start->Documents or Win+E to bring up a fresh WinExp window.
  • On the left you should see Libraries, right click it, select New, type 'Ebooks'.
  • Now you should see under Libraries something like Documents, Ebooks, Music, Pictures and Videos
  • Now open the disk where you have your 'new_storage' folder, left button drag the 'new_storage' folder over to the 'Ebook' Library and drop it.
  • Now click on Ebook and you'll see the Calibre folder structure we all love to hate
  • Now click View in the Menu, and select Arrange by Type and you should see something like the first image below
  • Now click on the Virtual folders EPUB, MOBI etc and you will see all the files of that type, whats more if you add 10 more more books they will be there with no further effort on your part. If you rename or delete a book in Calibre it will be reflected in the Ebook Library.
  • But be careful, if you rename, or delete books from these virtual folders then you will change the content of the Calibre Library folders and that as we know can cause you problems.
I have another but similar solution for XP, it involves the use of a free third party application, no its not an alternative to Calibre, its an alternative to Windows Explorer, but its not nearly as elegant as using Win 7 Libraries to virtualise Calibre Libraries.

If anyone's interested in the XP solution send me a PM or say so here and I'll tell y'all how to flatten Calibre in XP, but non Luddites should consider an upgrade to Win 7, it is much better than XP and it has a smaller footprint than Vista

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 3.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	91751  

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2012 at 08:44 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote