I was so excited to hear about the addition of sideloading that I reinstalled this right away. It works even with DRM-free ePubs. Hooray!
Then I started using it and was immediately reminded of why I don't use it:
- Boot up and the app switches to Mobile Safari, then back again. Weird.
- First thing I see on the screen is an alert to connect my Kobo account with my Facebook account. No thanks.
- Finally navigate to my library and start my book. All of a sudden I'm interrupted by a popup that takes up 1/3 of the bottom half of the screen. "Congratulations, you have linked your account to Instapaper!" What the fuck? No, I didn't, and I didn't give anyone permission to do so.
- Default settings are set to skeumorphic page curl effect and "Kobo styling," whatever that is. Looks like crap.
- Try to adjust text size. It's either fine-print small or ridiculously large, nothing in between.
- Read one page and test the bookmarking function. Tapping the top right-hand corner works fine, except I get another massive popup: "Congratulations, you have started a new book. You have earned the Once Upon a Time award!" Allofmywat.jpg
- Reading fairly quickly. The app can't keep up. Every time I turn the page, a giant pink ribbon shoots out of the right side of the screen with a little Loading icon before bringing up the next page of text. Seriously?
- Relaunch the app a second time and immediately get bombarded by a spam popup: "Please rate the Kobo app in the App Store."
Deleted. Never again.