View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #48
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Hi All. Something that has been ticking through the back of my mind of late is the number of blogs, news and forum posts about the 'absolute possibility' of new devices being released, and it got me thinking - Why are we now so constantly obsessed with product upgrades?

Many posts have been sprouting about a new front-lit Kindle, a larger Kindle Fire (with a wish list of wants), new iPod touch, new iPhone etc. These are not confirmed by anyone, merely speculation and from what I can gather driven by desire of the writer.

I recall a year ago Amazon released the K4 and K-Touch. Now the Kindle Keyboard came about 2 years ago and has not had a firmware update in how long? Yet it supports a microphone (which is unused) and is sold as a current product. The Kindle DX is in worst shape. Supposedly the Kindle Touch has a microphone but if new Kindles are announced in the coming week will this become a product sold but merely forgotten about in terms of firmware improvements?

The Sony PRS-2 has just been released, which from what I can gather all new functionality could have been provided in a firmware update for the PRS-1 - but demand obviously was for a new ereader with the current model less than 12 months old rather than update the firmware to provide a better experience.

I look at the Jetbooks and no firmware updates have been released (other than the new colour eink model) for a number of years, yet they still sell each model they have made as part of their current line up. Looks like they got to a point where "ah this'll do" and moved onto the next product.

I can't comment too much on the Nook, though I did like the concept of the glow light - not by releasing a completely new ereader, merely just a minor hardware change.

I really get the feeling that as consumers we're more than happy to settle for a gadget that firmware-wise half works, and live under the anticipation of "oh I will only have to put up with it for a year until the new model comes out".

Its not just ereaders I'm getting at either, mobile phones are the same. I have a Motorola Defy and reading on the forums a few people posted similar issues (I don't recall exactly as I never had the issue) and the fix was to buy the Defy+ which is essentially the same phone with a few tweaks and updated firmware by Motorola.

Am I missing the point? Have I been left behind when it comes to the thrill of potential new devices coming out? Are my expectations of a gadget working as intended too great, and should perhaps tolerate what I have and upgrade in the 'hope' the fixable flaws in my current gadget are resolved in the new product upgrade? Am I just getting old and grumpy in my old age?
Most of us are the more hardcore users, and so prefer the bleeding edge. I know I've had a twinge of want lately to get another reader, despite still loving my 505, especially since the Glowlight was released.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote