View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #114
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Sync on the road? I thought you needed to be on your own network to sync. Please do tell.
I think he meant that he had just returned from being on the road.

You can connect CC from any network to any network if you have made the necessary incantations to make calibre visible. For example, if you:
  • use a fixed CC port in calibre
  • open that port on your home router (or whatever you have between you home net and the world)
  • set up a CC connection password
  • leave calibre running
  • have a fixed IP address on the internet or have a router that supports dynamic dns refresh
  • set up CC to use the IP address of dynamic DNS name of the internet port
then CC can connect from anywhere.

Of course, we immediately get to the question "OK, I can connect, but what is the point? Without a "pull" (browse) capability in CC I can't do much". The answer: you are right, not much. News and anything auto-scheduled in the reading list plugin would download, but you cannot "browse".

The above scenario is one reason why we are going to add "pull" to CC somehow. The debate we are having is "how". I will discuss this question in a different thread that I am writing now. I will add a link to the new thread here once it exists.

edit: the other thread is at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Last edited by chaley; 08-27-2012 at 05:38 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote