View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, Nook Glow, PB Touch Lux 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Bear in mind that Rusch is a long-time veteran who has both traditional contracts *and* indie-published titles.
She is not a self-publishing promoter.
Her web site is about encouraging writers to educate themselves about the issues and make informed decisions that meet *their* needs rather than blindly accepting the "received wisdom" from another era.
What worked in the days of the print oligarchy is not necessarily a viable strategy in these days of reduced pbook shelf space, reduced publisher support and advances, and mainstreamed ebooks and POD.
Authors now have choices that didn't exist just a few years ago; they need to choose wisely or risk being victimized.
What she said!

Most of the KKR books I have were published by mainstream publishers. I've also bought a few of her stories that were in SFF magazines. I only discovered her self-pubbed stuff when I went to her website to check out when the next "Retrieval Artist" books was coming out.

I think she makes valid points. I also understand how the other system came into being - I'm sure it's HARDER for artistic authors to take on all the pieces of publishing, and all at their own risk. So when you find a publisher and agent you can trust, it's got to be a relief to finally sit back and actually spend your time what you feel most comfortable doing - writing.

I just thought she made some thought-provoking points about the level of trust the authors have to have...and is that really in their best interest today? Just like 50 years ago, employees could assume they could start and end their careers in a single company, and their bosses would value their contribution....who makes those assumptions today?! That's changed even since I first started working. My company makes a point of stressing in every review that "you own your career", and no one's going to hand it to you, despite your hard work, if you don't participate.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote