View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur View Post
I see I have installed 0.8.14 and next installing 0.8.4 has had no effect.
Now I am confused. Should I uninstall 0.8.14? Which one is better?
Which one works with more files?

Should I be able to do something more than turning pages?
The ipkg utility won't install an old version over a newer version, so you have to uninstall 0.8.14 before reinstalling 0.8.4.

The 0.8.14 version does not have menus etcetera. It is designed to read a single ebook, using contentlister to navigate to the desired ebook. The first post in Integrated FBReader 0.8.14 with ePub and Registry Support includes a list of what the keys do. Since there are no menus or icons, only actions bound to keys can be performed. Also, some operations only work with some filetypes (e.g. the TOC operations only work if you have a TOC that FBReader detects).

The 0.8.4 version includes menus and icons, and you can in addition rebind the keys to whatever "actions" you want. It does not have a working full screen mode, does not support ePub, and is slow to turn pages. If you rename .epub files to .oebzip they are often readable by 0.8.4. I use 0.8.4, because I am used to FBReader on other devices. The 0.8.14 version works similarly to MobiPocket Reader, except that you use key presses for all operations.

I have screenshots of 0.8.14 here and of 0.8.4 here.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote