View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #386
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I don't know how Kobo managed it. They boast being able to sell in over 170 different countries. I find it hard to believe they negotiated the publishing rights in 170 different countries and Apple, Amazon, B&N etc etc take years to get rights to sell in only a few countries. Either Kobo is has found an amazing loophole, is passing on the violation of the publishing rights to the customer or the rest of the ebook companies are just lazy. In B&N case, since they haven't even started selling overseas, I'd put them in the latter group.
Kobo does not say they are selling all their books to 170 countries. To a lot of countries they probably are selling only a very small number of books that have no geo restrictions.
Amazon did the same when they started selling Kindle books to the Netherlands. Most books from popular writers were not available to the Netherlands. You could only buy a very small number of books. These days you can buy a lot more Kindle books from the Netherlands. A lot of these books are the UK editions. You can still not buy the US editions from the Netherlands.

Now B&N has aquired the rights to sell UK ebooks (opening an UK store in Oktober), they will probably be able to use these UK books for their other European stores in countries like the Netherlands and Germany.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote