View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #1348
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3mis View Post
My name is Art3mis and I'm addicted to buying e-books. I'd like to join the thread, if that's alright. When I first started e-reading, I didn't have any disposable income to spend on e-books, so it was easy and necessary to be satisfied with Project Gutenberg and Amazon freebies. However, I've recently gotten an income that allows me to have a small disposable spending amount - and now things are getting out-of-hand!

I think that my addiction is made worse by the fact that I don't have a wishlist of books that I'd like. I don't really like keeping lists (unless I'm cleaning house - then ticky boxes are very motivational!), and it ends up making books feel like a chore. What this means, though, is that I end up buying every book that looks interesting - I've only just discovered the $0.99 books on Amazon, and this is all just slaughtering my bank account!

I've purchased 24 e-books since 1 July and the average cost is $7.75.
Hi Art3mis, welcome to the thread. You're among friends who understand the impulse to buy.

If you've read the first post, you'll have found the three guiding principles that we've worked out to help us.

Following these rules, my average book cost this year has been $2.15! (Admittedly, I've also bought 105 books, but that's such a large total because of the recent Georgette Heyer sale.)

Wishlists: Amazon makes this easy. Someone recommends an ebook that looks interesting. You check it on Amazon. You don't buy, but just click "Add To Wishlist".

Wait for sales and special offers for your favourite series and authors. So long as you still have a pile of ebooks to read, only buy when the ebooks are on special offer, or are a series/author your particularly follow.

There is what might be considered a slight downside to this thread. People will mention when they've "fallen off the wagon" which often, as in the Georgette Heyer case, causes others to buy. But this is a feature, not a problem. By finding out when there's an extra-special sale on, we can resist buying books at other times.

Again, welcome to the thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote