View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
When I was a little girl a good friend of the family ran a record store down the street. I used to go there, during day time there were few customers, and I would always get a soda and then I could spend hours listening to new records. (ahh, the benefits of being a cute little girl). I wouldn't say that the man running the store was a Luddite, but he was reluctant to stock CDs, so I continued listening to vinyl records on these "earphones" that looked like a vintage phone handset in an off-white that was slowly turning brown from all the nicotine stained fingers holding them. The CD section gradually grew and one day there were no LPs and the handsets looked oddly out of place.

I missed those records with their psychedelic covers and the inserts. The CDs just didn't have that feeling. Then one day I realized that the selection was at least twice as large since they didn't take up as much space. There was only one jewel case in the rack, so you had to go to the counter and ask for the disc if you wanted to listen to it. This always gave you the opportunity to chat for a little while, beside I now had an allowance and reached that age where you're convinced music will change the world, so every now and then I also bought something.

Then came MP3s and Napster, and if it is one thing the Swedes are apt at, it is pirating (we even have a Pirate Party with seats in the EU parliament) so in no time his store was back to selling LPs, sadly though I wasn't into them anymore and the few times I've been in there, the customers seem, shall we say, eclectic, they also smells funny. He doesn't look happy at all, and sales are nothing like they used to, there is now a corner for used comics as well.

So I've been through some changes. Hence, when bookstores turned into bestseller outlets, I didn't miss the experience at all. I'm perfectly happy browsing my usual hangouts for eBooks. I do miss the conversations you could have there, but hey, that is what MR is for.

Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote