View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
I think the last line shown in that attached image tells the whole story.

Note the reference to release 3 of the program loader.

Doesn't the K3 use the ld-linux.so.2 (earlier version) of the loader rather than ld-linux.so.3?

Hmm...

Your building on Linux-Mint-13, correct?
That is based on Ubuntu-12.04 (Precise Pangolin) - which is the release that switched to the newer loader (*.3) and for ARM, started with the multi-lib/multi-arch support.

My system, Linux-Mint-12 is based on Ubuntu-11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) - which still used the older *.2 loader.

Would be nice to know how the reference to the *.3 loader slipped into the build. (Leaked in from the build host? Reference from inside of the CS/MG toolchain? Buildroot built glibc that way?)
A mystery that would be nice to solve, but might be hard to do.

You have a copy of the *.3 loader in the build?
Use the explicit loader call rather than the implicit call.
Like (section 3.3.1):
${LOADER} --library-path PATH EXECUTABLE

Guessing at where the loaders are at in your build -

LOADER=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 And you should have the same failures;

LOADER=/mnt/us/lib/ld-linux.so.3 And it will work or display some other symptom.

Use whatever object utility you have handy to dump the sysmbols of the experimental victum application, filtered by | grep "NEEDED" **Not** ldd!

That will give you the exact libraries names required, use the full pathname to them in the PATH part of the explicit loader call.

Once the complete fix is determined, if it involves using the new loader, then it may be possible to replace the Kindle's loader with the new one.
I.E: the *.3 loader should be able to load any of the Amazon objects build for being loaded by the *.2 loader.

Be real certain to also test loading some of the Amazon originals with the new loader and the specific path to the old libraries before replacing the old one with the new one.
I.E: Try to avoid adding to the "successful de-brick" reports.

Last edited by knc1; 08-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote