Thread: Torture!!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Kindle3-3G, Archos 43
I saw this a couple of weeks ago, paused thinking of the metaphor and now I am back

quoting - VydorScope ------------------------------------------------
"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." -E. L. Doctorow

The second one I fully agree with, btw.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

quoting - MidnightBlue ----------------------------------------------------
I don't understand the Doctoror quote, it makes no sense to me. A reader is limited in that they can only see what is ahead of them, the writer has no such limitation
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read the metaphor to mean something like this:

You might have a map. You might have a gps. You might know the area. You have a tank of fuel. You have your headlights. You have a thermos.
You get into your car with a destination in mind.

Then the night turns dark and stormy. The roads are flooded, the bridges are washed out, the hills slide onto the roads, ..., signs are blown away.

You just hope the headlights and the thermos last the journey to safety.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote