View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
If I remember...the blurb for Notes...Tolstoy said it was Dostoyevsky's best work...... Read all of the ones you mentioned...and.... Really Love Hunger... IF there is one book to define 20th century writing that is it.... Hemingway as a big fan of it...as well as a plethora of other great early 20th Century writers........ and to finish off...my favorite Bukowski quote.....more or less paraphrased...: "It's not that I don't like people... it's just that I don't like to be around them".....
I first heard about HUNGER and Knut Hamsun in Henry Miller's SEXUS...he mentions a relatively unknown Norwegian author who he sent a letter to after reading his work, and from whom he had a reply, in which Hamsun asked for financial assistance from Miller I think, or help in getting more American readers...some story like that...when I first read it I wasn't sure Knut Hamsun was a real author, hadn't heard of him and it had the feel of being somehow made up by Miller...but a couple of years later a friend told me he'd found a book at the library he thought i'd really like, and it was HUNGER, and I recognised Hamsun's name from the Miller story...
That Bukowski quote reminds me of Sartre's "Hell is other people"
Which in turn reminds me of what Colin Wilson in THE OUTSIDER called "the pessimistic tradition in European literature"....though he included Hemingway's short story, SOLDIER'S HOME, as an example...maybe he thought Hemingway caught the virus in WW1 France...
John A. A. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote