Originally Posted by VydorScope
...I think reading engages your mind far more then watching TV and has a greater long term impact then TV. But that is my personal opinion and I am not claiming and scientific soundness behind it.
I'd say "not necessarily." TV and movies can be more impactful in how they engage your visual and auditory senses with your mind; some of the most memorable and influential moments of people's lives have come from movies. Some personal examples:
- Lawrence riding out of the desert in "Lawrence of Arabia"
- "Soylent Green is people!"
- The trip to the Moon in "2001"
- The last scene of the original "Planet of the Apes"
- The last scene of "Silent Running"
- The opening scene of "Contact"
- The uncomfortable shock of the in-home attack/rape scene from "Clockwork Orange"
- The vista of "Blade Runner"
- "Dr. Grant... my dear Dr. Sattler... welcome to Jurassic Park."
I think the only book that's ever influenced me more than these examples would be The Martian Chronicles.