This wizard-based plugin allows you to match existing or create empty books in calibre based on lists of books from external sources. For some users it may be they want to import an existing list of their own reading/books, for others it can be that they want to import lists of bestsellers, popular books, genre recommendations, award winners and so on. Once matched you can integrate with the Reading List
plugin to record as a list to read, send to a device or just view on screen.
- Import from Clipboard - paste in a list of book title/authors copied to your clipboard, such as from a website forum post of favourite books.
- Import from CSV File - many users have lists of books stored in applications like Excel which can export to CSV, or use websites like Goodreads/Library Thing which also have export to CSV capability.
- Import from Web Page - over 100 predefined websites are configured (including Goodreads, Amazon etc) or you can add your own. Included in the predefined websites is Fantastic Fiction, which can be an easy way to scrape title, author, series and pubdate metadata for all books by an author. Note that for this and any of the predefined websites that you are not limited to the specific URL configured. You can navigate to the website page of interest in your browser, then drag/drop or copy the URL into the Website tab of this plugin. most websites use the same layout for their webpages so no other configuration needs to be changed.
Using the wizard is a three step process (more detail in example spoilers below):
Main Features of v1.1.5
- STEP 1: Select/configure a list source - either choose a predefined source or configure your own.
- STEP 2: Resolve matches - the plugin uses fuzzy logic algorithms to best match against existing books in your library. You can then fine tune the results with further searches and/or choose to add empty books for those that do not exist in your library.
- STEP 3: Display/save the results - with the matched results you can create/append to a Reading List plugin list or just display temporarily on screen. You also have the option of saving your customised configuration as user settings for future reuse.
- Import lists of books from Clipboard, CSV files or websites.
- Choose from over 100 predefined websites and/or add your own configurations.
- Import into standardfields, identifiers or custom columns
- Option to update metadata of existing books
- Predefined websites can be viewed as a list or grouped by category
- Websites can be directly opened in a web browser
- Supports importing title, author, series, series index and pubdate (all but title are optional)
- Customise clipboard imports with regular expressions (common examples available on a dropdown)
- Customise CSV imports to define the numbered column and other options such as delimiters.
- Customise website imports using XPath expressions, with highlighting available to show matches.
- Website URLs support template expressions to allow automatic substitution of values such as dates. For an example look at the Goodreads Popular This Month/Year settings.
- Automatically match books in your library using a progression of identical/similar/fuzzy matching algorithms
- User can manually search/refine matches, create empty books, remove books from the list etc.
- Optionally put the resulting matched books into a list for use with the Reading List plugin, or just display on screen
- Configurations can be exported/imported for sharing with other users.
Usage Example 1:
- Requires Calibre 0.8.57 or later.
Workflow for importing from a website
Usage Example 2:
Getting books for an author from Fantastic Fiction
Usage Example 3:
Loading books from the clipboard
Usage Example 4:
Load from a CSV file
Usage Example 5:
Scrape from a custom website
- If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation. I have spent many thousands of unpaid hours in their development and support so any encouragement for me to continue is appreciated!