Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey
Hey all, I finally have a chance to update to pearl screen with very discounted refurb NSTs in ebay, but looking at reviews and videos I could not find the answer of several questions:
1. Does rooting reclaim back the 1gb allocated memory to B&N? I don't really need it, but would love the added space
2. Is there any negative battery implication of the rooting? Resident programs will surely kill it, but if I only root and install some sort of file manager?
3. Speaking of file managers, this is the main reason to root it and organize all my books into folders/subfolders/collections - I have not seen any movie showing the use of one - is there such a thing that I can easily browse the books and when I click on one to open in the default viewer (to be able to use the physical page keys)?
4. Does the rooted android handles cyrillic okay? File names is what concerns me, the default reader should continue to work I guess
Bit scared of that referb tho, once I get it, I'll move it half the world and won't be able to return back if there is something :/
1. You cant claim back the 1gb by rooting but If I recall correctly some guys have been able to on xda by reformatting the internal hard disk. But its a highly risky way of doing it. And if you dont have a backup if something goes wrong you will have a hard time to fix it.
2. Most phones loose battery because of radio and wifi if you disable wifi then your battery wont take much of a hit no matter what apps are running in the background
3. I have never uses cyrillic languages so cant help you with that but NST is used a lot by Russian readers and one of the best android readers coolreader main developer is Russian and has a nook touch.
If you can read russian even if you cant you can use google translate check out the russian forum
for rooting and how to reclaim 1 gb you should read xda forum and threads